Lamont Thurston brings a global perspective to strategic planning having lived and worked abroad in both Asia and Europe. He enjoyed a 14-year corporate banking career with one of the nation’s largest banks. Among his assignments, he managed the Asian Desk, performed bank acquisition turnaround work, started, staffed and grew specialty lending groups and ended his tenure managing a major Commercial Division for 4 years.
During a subsequent 10-year insurance career, he also founded a captive insurance consulting and management company that formed and operates 25 single parent and group captive insurance companies. These formations were in part developed through a quantitative risk assessment program developed by Thurston and his team.
As President and founder of LightStance, Lamont is the head of strategy and primarily consults with companies regarding prioritized opportunities, risks, actions and financing strategies. These engagements are facilitated by a proprietary, gamified software program that utilizes hundreds of relevant business topics to help companies reach their maximum potential.
Community & industry Involvement
- Toledo Zoo & Aquarium, 2006 – 2016 (President of the Board of Directors (2014 and 2015))
- Rocket Ventures Board of Directors – (2008 – 2014)
- L.E. Smith Company Board of Directors – Current
- MS Society Board of Directors and Chairman of Leadership Awards (2011-2014)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Board of Directors (2005-2008)
- Ohio Captive Insurance Association, Past Legislative Chair
Education and Accreditations
Lamont received his bachelor’s degree in economics from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio and his MBA in finance from Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio. He is a regular speaker at events throughout the Midwest and hosts an annual 2-day alternative risk management summit that is provided for insurance industry practitioners.
- Strategic Planning
- Captive Feasibility and Formation
- Employee Benefits Self-Funding
- Alternative Risk Finance, Enterprise Risk Management